Broccoli and cheddar is truly an iconic duo that I absolutely love! If it’s one recipe you need to make this fall, it’s my broccoli cheddar soup topped with a flaky puff pastry. I made this soup last year and it literally went viral across all platforms. This time around I put together the perfect recipe for you all.
It’s a creamy cheddar based soup, filled with broccoli and carrots seasoned to perfection topped with a buttery puff pastry. It’s one of those cozy home cooked meals that feels like a warm hug.
And if you didn’t know, I’m a puff pastry stan! It adds the perfect texture to any soup. I promise you’re gonna love it.
This soup is so flavorful and super easy to make. No really, you can literally throw it together in about 30-45 minutes depending on your prep.
Let’s get into it
the base of this soup starts with an easy light colored roux. Using flour, butter and sautéed aromatics. Then I added chicken broth that thickens into a gravy like sauce. I seasoned it to perfection with herbs and spices. Added a ton of chopped broccoli, carrots and a touch of heavy cream to make this extra creamy. Added loads of cheddar cheese and a touch of cream cheese, which is my secret ingredient. Making this soup super rich and creamy. Topped the soup with puff pastry and baked it until it was fluffy and golden.
There’s no better way to enjoy this soup than this recipe! It’s a family favorite and I hope you love it as much as we do!
If you try it, I would love to hear from you. Let me know in the comments & or tag me on Instagram.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 4 tbsp butter salted
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 shallot diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 carrots shredded
- 1-2 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 tbsp Tony's
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Take puff pastry out and bring to room temp
- In a large pot, melt ½ stick of butter over medium heat. Once the butter is bubbling, sautè onions, shallot and fresh thyme leaves. Sautè until fragrant and then add in your minced garlic, stirring for an additional 2 minutes. Whisk in the flour, and coat the veggies.
- Slowly whisk in the broth until smooth. Reduce heat to medium low and season with onion powder, garlic powder, chicken bouillon, Tony's and salt and pepper. Bring to a low simmer, mixing occasionally.
- Add in chopped broccoli, carrots and heavy cream. Mix until well combined and cover for about 7 minutes. Add in garlic paste, cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Mix well. Cover and let cook for another 7-10 minutes until the cheese completely melts. Stir often. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove from the heat, and pour soup into individual oven-safe bowls.
- On a flat surface, lightly roll out puff pastry. Use an empty bowl oven safe bowl and cut out the perimeter of the bowl.
- Top the filled soup bowls with puff pastry. Cut 3 slits in the middle of each pastry. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the puff pastry is puffed and golden.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool before serving. Top with dried parsley or thyme and enjoy!
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi