One of my favorite apps with a twist. These crispy wontons are filled with cream cheese, shrimp, green onions– seasoned to perfection, deep fried until golden brown and served with sweet chili sauce. ahhh so good.
I’ve been seeing Crab rangoon all over my FYP for a few months now and decided to make it… but with shrimp.
I cleaned and deveined my shrimp on both sides and chopped it up into bite size pieces. I combined cream cheese, green onions, soy sauce and sriracha for an extra kick. Filled wonton wrappers and deep fried it until it was nice and crispy. Served it up with some sweet chili sauce and man it was good.
Now that football season is here, this is a great app to snack on while you watch the game.
Tips when making rangoon-
- Whatever protein you decide to use, make sure you cut it up into bite size pieces and that the filling is mixed very well.
- Make sure not add to much filling.
- Allow your wonton wrappers to come to room temperature. It helped me when I was separating the dough. When peeling the wrappers,
- be careful not to be too rough because it can rip.
- Wet the edges of the wonton wrapper with water to help stick it together when you seal it.
- Pinch all sides of the wonton to ensure that none of the filling seeps out while frying.
- Make sure your oil isn’t too hot. Because I used raw shrimp, you don’t want the wonton to cook too fast on the outside but not on the inside. I had a few failed attempts before the heat was just right about 350 degrees / low-medium heat you can also cook the shrimp before adding the the cream cheese if you’re worried about it not cooking through.
Cooking options – If frying is not your thing, you can also bake or air-fry your shrimp rangoon. Just spray or brush well with canola oil before cooking
- 8 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup shrimp cleaned, deveined and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Canola oil for frying
- Sweet chili sauce for serving
- Chop shrimp into bite size pieces.
- To a mixing bowl, add softened cream cheese, shrimp, sugar, sriracha, green onions, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Add a teaspoon of filling to the center of the wonton wrapper. Add water to the edges of the wonton.
- Bring diagonal corners together and press together. Make sure to pinch all edges to ensure no filling comes out.
- Fry in 350 degree oil until crispy and brown.
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi