Jerk BBQ Chicken Pineapple Bowl. Made with a homemade pineapple salsa, coconut rice and BBQ jerk chicken with a homemade Pineapple BBQ sauce. When I tell you the flavors were unreal.
Table of Contents
This mouthwatering dish combines the bold and savory flavors of Jamaican jerk seasoning with the refreshing sweetness of pineapple salsa, all served atop a bed of creamy and satisfying coconut rice. With every bite, you’ll experience an explosion of flavors that’s sure to make this dish a new family favorite! Perfect for any night of the week!
I’m not gone hold you this was one of the best things I’ve ever made. The sweetness of the pineapple and the spiciness of the jerk. Whew, a match made!! So good! And quick to make. & We loveeee that!
Pair this with my Piña Colada recipe and baby it’s a whole vibeeee.
Jerk BBQ Chicken Pineapple Bowl Ingredients:
Jerk Seasoning– my favorite is the hot & spicy from Walkerswood.
Seasoning- the jerk seasoning has a lot of flavor, but I like to add some seasoning to enhance the flavor.
Honey– this pairs great with the jerk seasoning and adds a touch of sweetness.
Your favorite BBQ sauce– I used Baby Ray’s Honey BBQ
Honey- adds sweetness to the BBQ sauce.
Fresh Pineapple juice- we’re using the entire pineapple. make sure to keep the juice.
Pineapple Chunks- use fresh or canned. Chopped into chunks.
Red onion– finely diced.
Cilantro– finely chopped.
Chili Lime Seasoning- I love the one from Trader Joes.
Limes- adds the perfect amount of citrus.
Roma Tomato– optional, but I love tomatoes in my pineapple salsa.
Red Pepper Flakes or jalapeño– if you have it. Use according to how spicy you want.
Rice– I prefer Jasmine rice.
Coconut Milk– sweetened canned.
How to make this Pineapple Bowl-
Step 1: Prep the chicken. The recipe begins by marinating chicken thighs in jerk seasoning, culantro or green seasoning, and fresh herbs, spices and citrus.
Step 2: prepare the pineapple. Cut the pineapple in half, then hollow it out. This step may seem a little daunting but I promise it’s not. on a large cutting board, cut the pineapple half down the middle, and then across creating a checker board. (be sure not to cut all the way through. Hollow out the pineapple by scooping it and reserving the “meat” and juice.
Step 3: Make the salsa. Take a cup of pineapple, dice and add to a bowl. Next, dice 1/4 red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. Add to the bowl. Then squeeze fresh lime juice and season with salt, pepper and chili lime seasoning. Mix well, taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Set aside until ready to use.
Step 4: Make the rice. Wash your rice in water until the water runs clean. To a saucepan, add the rice, coconut milk, water, onion, garlic clove, scallion, fresh thyme, pinch of salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Allow rice to steam for an extra 5 minutes before fluffing.
Step 5: Cook the Chicken & BBQ sauce– Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes. Then cook chicken in the air fryer on 400 for 12 minutes. While the chicken cooks, prepare the BBQ sauce. In a saucepan, combine bbq sauce, honey and pineapple juice over medium heat. Once the sauce begins to bubble, reduce to low and simmer.
Next, Once the 12 minutes is up, Reduce air-fryer heat to 380, flip the chicken and add the BBQ sauce. Return to the air fryer for an additional 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, flip chicken over and add more bbq sauce. Return to the air fryer and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Repeat once more. (total of 21 min) Finish with more bbq sauce.
Step 6: Assemble–
- begin by adding a small drop of oil to the dish. This will help prevent sticking and make it easier to remove the rice.
- Next, carefully scoop the coconut rice into the dish. Use a spoon or your hands to pack the rice down firmly. This will help create a compact shape and make it easier to transfer onto the plate.
- Take the pineapple or plate and place it upside down on top of the dish with the coconut rice. Flip the small bowl and tap the top of the bowl a few times. Gently lift the bowl off the plate or pineapple, allowing the coconut rice to slide out and create a molded shape
- Next, add chicken pieces to the pineapple and the pineapple salsa. and enjoy!
Looking for more bowl inspired meals?
If you try this Jerk BBQ Chicken Pineapple Bowl, please be sure to leave a comment, and or tag me on Instagram @cookwithci. I would love to see your recreations and hear your thoughts.
Jerk BBQ Chicken Pineapple Bowl
- Air Fryer
- 1 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 lime juice
- 1 tbsp culantro/ or green seasoning optional
- 1/2 tsp citrus garlic seasoning
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp fresh pineapple juice
- 1 cup pineapple chunks chopped + pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 roma tomato optional, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno seeded, diced
- 1/2 tsp chili lime seasoning
- 1 lime juice
- red pepper flakes optional
- 2 cups Jasmine Rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1.5 cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 scallion
- fresh thyme
- 1/4 yellow onion
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder optional
- Preheat air fryer to 400 for 10 minutes.
- Clean and cut any additional fat from the chicken thighs. Place chicken thighs in a medium bowl. Add jerk marinade, culantro, salt, citrus garlic seasoning, honey and lime juice. Mix until chicken is fully coated. Marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut pineapple in half and remove the "meat" of the pineapple until it's a bowl. Chop pineapple, onion, cilantro, tomato. Add to a bowl. Season with salt, pepper, chili lime seasoning, lime juice and pineapple juice. Mix until combined. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Cook chicken in air fryer on 400 for 12 minutes. While the chicken cooks, prepare the BBQ sauce.
- To a small saucepan, combine bbq sauce, honey and pineapple juice over medium heat. Once the sauce begins to bubble, reduce to low and simmer.
- Once the 12 minutes is up, Reduce heat to 380, flip the chicken and add the BBQ sauce. Return to the air fryer for an additional 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, flip chicken over and add more bbq sauce. Return to the air fryer and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Repeat once more. (total of 21 min) Finish with more bbq sauce.
- Wash rice and add to a medium saucepan. Add coconut milk, water, garlic, yellow onion, scallion, thyme, garlic powder and a pinch of salt. mix until combined. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook on low for 25 minutes.
- Add a drop of olive oil to a small bowl. Scoop coconut rice into the bowl and press/pack it down. Take the pineapple or plate and flip the bowl with it. until the coconut rice comes out.
- Add chicken thighs and top with pineapple salsa.
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi