Soft, chewy pizza dough, topped with sweet and spicy BBQ sauce, juicy pieces of chicken, fresh slices of mozzarella, shredded Colby jack and crisp red onions. Baked until golden and melty. Topped with fresh cilantro.
This is what pizza dreams are made of. So so good. And I hate to toot my own horn but my pizza crust is literally the best! I’ve been working on perfecting this crust for the past few months, testing out different flours and I’m so happy that I’ve finally perfected it (recipe coming soon). It literally made this pizza so delicious.. Because let’s be real, bad crust will ruin an entire pizza.
This BBQ chicken pizza is such a treat. And there is literally no need to order out once you learn how to make it at home. It’s a great weeknight/weekend meal. A pizza the whole family will love and it’s so easy to make.
With the Super Bowl right around the corner, this is a great pizza to make for your Super Bowl party. I promise it won’t disappoint.
If you don’t feel like making your own pizza dough, store-bought pizza dough will work just fine. Even Naan bread or flatbread for a quick and easy alternative.
What you’ll need
Pizza Dough– use fresh pizza dough or naan bread/ flat bread for a quick alternative.
Chicken– I used chicken thighs, because that’s what I had. Feel free to use chicken breast or tenderloins or even rotisserie chicken.
Your favorite BBQ sauce- I love Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey BBQ. I also used their Sweet and Spicy BBQ sauce
Cheese- Mozzarella makes the best bubbly melty cheese. I also used Colby jack. As with all my recipes, I highly recommend shredding your own cheese. It melts so much better.
Red Onions- thinly sliced
Cilantro- For garnish if you like.
Olive oil- I like to drizzle olive oil over my pizza before I bake it it helps melt the cheese.
My goal for this pizza was to recreate one of my favorites from CPK. So I pretty much just added what I remembered. The great thing about pizza is that it’s totally customizable. Feel free to add whatever toppings you like.
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- pizza dough
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp tony's seasoning
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup Colby jack shredded
- fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp olive oil optional
- Position oven rack to 1/3 of oven and preheat to 500 degrees (if using fresh dough) If using premade flat bread or naan bread preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, add cleaned chicken thighs and season with onion powder, garlic powder, Tony's creole seasoning, smoked paprika and black pepper. Marinate for at least 20 minutes
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil, and sear chicken until cooked through. Remove from the pan and chop into pieces.
- To assemble- roll out pizza dough on a lightly greased cast iron or baking sheet. Layer with your favorite BBQ sauce, globs of fresh mozzarella, chicken, shredded Colby jack and red onions.
- Add pizza into preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the crust is nice and golden and cheese is melted and bubbly. Top the pizza with fresh cilantro, more BBQ sauce. Slice and enjoy!
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi