To my seafood lovers, this one’s for you! Melt in your mouth buttermilk biscuits, slathered in a creamy seafood gravy topped with crispy bacon and green onions. The flavors. The textures. Absolutely delicious. You have to make these Biscuits and Seafood Gravy for your next brunch at home.
The holidays are right around the corner and it’s the perfect excuse to indulge in all things comfort and delicious. I know dinner is the main show during the holidays, but that doesn’t mean breakfast/brunch has to lack. Add this to your holiday brunch lineup.
Normally I’d say the gravy is the star of the show; and it is, but the buttery buttermilk biscuits deserve her flowers too. They definitely made a statement and paired great with the seafood gravy.
To be honest, this gravy was made on a whim. I was in the mood for my normal turkey gravy but I didn’t have any turkey sausage. But you know what I did have… shrimp in the freezer and some leftover crab meat from my Crab and Corn Bisque soup. If you haven’t checked out that post ima leave it right here for you. okay, okay enough of the shameless plug.
Anyways… that’s how this seafood gravy came about. Worked with what I had and it came out BOMB. The one thing I wanna encourage those of you reading this; is that it’s okay to pivot. It’s okay to create something new. That’s the fun thing about cooking. Do it to your taste, and get creative!
These buttermilk biscuits literally melt in your mouth. made with butter and shortening. I know I know it’s not the healthiest but babyyyyy a little cheat day never hurt nobody lol. These biscuits are really easy to throw together. Made using self-rising flour and buttermilk, butter flavored shortening and butter. They are soft, with light layers. So good.
Ingredients for the biscuits
- Self rising flour
- butter- I recommend unsalted.
- butter flavored shortening
For the gravy
shrimp and lump crab
chopped seasoning blend– is a combination of chopped bell pepper, onion, and celery.
garlic– everything tastes better with garlic
chicken broth– use this to thin out your gravy.
flour– used to thicken the gravy
turkey bacon– added a perfect crunch/texture to the gravy. you can use pork bacon
butter– I recommend unsalted.
green onions- one of my favorite ways to garnish. adding a delicious flavor.
seasonings– you know we season our food over here. used a variation of seasonings. and salt to taste.
More Holiday Recipes
If you try these Biscuits and Seafood Gravy, please be sure to leave a comment, and or tag me on Instagram @cookwithci. I would love to see your recreations and hear your thoughts.
Buttermilk Biscuits & Seafood Gravy
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 5 tbsp cold, unsalted butter cut into cubes + melted for brushing
- 2 tbsp butter flavored shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1/4 cup chopped seasoning
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth use as needed to thin out gravy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices turkey bacon diced
- 1/3 cup shrimp chopped
- crab meat
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- green onions thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- To a mixing bowl combine self rising flour sugar, salt, cold butter flavored shortening and cubed butter. with a fork or fingers, break down butter into small "pea like pieces" Make sure the butter is coated with the flour.
- Create a well in the center of the flour. Add in buttermilk and slowly mix together until the dough comes together.
- Flour your cleaned surface, and add biscuit mixture and more flour if needed so your fingers won't stick. Begin to fold your dough together several times. This will create layers. Add more flour if needed.
- Create a thick rectangle, and cut out as many biscuits as you can.
- Place biscuits on a parchment lined baking sheet or in a buttered cast iron pan. Bake in the middle rack for 13-15 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven, and brush with butter.
- To a pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and diced bacon. Cook until the bacon is crispy and remove from the pan.
- In the same pan add butter. Once the butter begins to bubble, add in chopped seasoning. Sautè for a few minutes before adding in minced garlic. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in 2 tbsp of flour and mix until veggies are coated. Next, stir in heavy cream and simmer for about 3 minutes. (the gravy will begin to thicken. keep stirring)
- Add in chicken broth or water, as needed to thin out the gravy.
- Season with garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Tony's, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Next add in chopped shrimp and cover. allowing the shrimp to cook through. about 5 minutes.
- Add in crab meat and squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi