Tis the season!! Fall is officially here which means it’s soup season! I’m so very excited to be sharing this recipe with you all. I shared a video 2 years ago of this soup and it went viral across a lot of my platforms. And it was only right to finally share the full recipe to my Zuppa Toscana Soup.
Zuppa Toscana, a rich and creamy soup filled with tender potato chunks and vibrant kale, offers a burst of heartwarming flavors. It’s a hearty soup, with so much flavor. If It’s not already, this Zuppa Toscana soup will easily become one of your favorite soups this fall & winter.
Ingredients for Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Potatoes- I recommend using a sturdy potato like red or russet potatoes.
- Heavy Cream- alternatively you can use half and half.
- Bacon- optional, but the base of the soup is using the rendered bacon fat which added an extra touch of flavor. I topped the soup with the crispy bits of maple
- Chicken Broth- I recommend using a low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth. That way you can control the amount of sodium with seasonings.
- Kale- I love using kale in soups. It’s a great hearty green that holds up in soup.
- Italian Sausage- feel free to use your favorite Italian sausage. I love the Robust Chicken Sausage from Boars head or a ground Italian style turkey sausage
- Onion- yellow onion or sweet onion, diced.
- Garlic- Lately I’ve been loving to grate my garlic into dishes.
- Seasonings – I used red pepper flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, fennel seeds, Tony’s No salt, Italian herb seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Lemon Juice- optional but it adds a nice touch to the soup.
- Olive Oil- extra virgin.
- Butter- unsalted, that way you can control the amount of salt in the soup.
- Cheese- I like to use a blend of Italian cheeses.
How to make Zuppa Toscana Soup?
This soup can be easily made in a stock pot or crockpot. Just add all the ingredients and cook on low.
This soup can store in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. IF it lasts that long haha.
More fall recipes to try
If you try my Zuppa Toscana Soup I’d love to hear your feedback. Please be sure to leave a comment, and/or tag me on Instagram @cookwithci. I would love to see your recreations and hear your thoughts.
Zuppa Toscana Soup
- 4 Italian Sausages or ground sausage
- 1 yellow or sweet onion diced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 3 large Russet potatoes peeled & chopped; or red potatoes
- 1-2 cups chopped kale
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes use to your discretion
- 1/2 tsp Italian & Herb All Purpose seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Tony's No salt seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds optional
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon juice optional
- 1 tsp olive oil if needed
- 2 strips Turkey bacon
- shredded Italian cheese or Parmesan
- red pepper flakes
- In a large pot fry bacon over medium heat until cooked then remove from the pan. Next add in diced onions and cook in rendered bacon fat until fragrant.
- Add in sausage and cook until done. Once cooked add in diced potatoes, Tony's, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian and herb all purpose seasoning, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt and fennel seeds mix then pour in chicken broth, and heavy cream. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Add in the chopped kale and lemon juice and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until wilted.
- Ladle the soup into a bowl, top with cheese, chopped turkey bacon and red pepper flakes if desired and enjoy!
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi