In Honor of National Ice Cream Sandwich day, we are making this delicious Churro Ice Cream Sandwich. Paired with my homemade no-churn cinnamon swirl Ice cream. Babbyyyyy. This was a dream.
If you have a sweet tooth, allow this recipe to satisfy your craving. The perfect combo of hot & cold. I promise, you won’t be disappointed.
Creamy vanilla ice cream with hints of cinnamon buttery goodness, in between two Cinnamon sugar churro “buns”. Ahh man. so good. Dessert, the whole family will love.
Churro Ice Cream Sandwich
- Hand or standing mixer
- Piping bag 1M size tip
- Parchment Paper
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups canola oil for frying
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and 1 tbsp of cinnamon to create cinnamon sugar. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, bring water and butter to a low simmer. Add in brown sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Remove from heat and add in flour and mix until a dough forms. Turn heat to low, and keep stirring to let the flour cook. Make sure to mix well and that there are no flour pockets in the dough.
- Allow dough to cool down completely before adding in eggs. Mix in eggs until the dough is smooth and it becomes a batter-like consistency. (use standing mixer, hand mixer or spoon)
- Add batter into a piping bag with a 1m piping tip.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, pipe batter in a circular motion creating a mini "buns". Pop baking sheet into the freezer and allow to freeze at least an hour before frying.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat up oil. While the oil heats up, cut parchment paper into individual squares and deep fry. (Parchment paper is made to withstand high temperatures. Usually up to 420 degrees *Check parchment paper instructions. If you don't want to use this method allow the churro buns to freeze longer before deep frying)
- After a few seconds, remove parchment paper from oil and allow churro cake to fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the churro from the grease and pat with a paper towel to remove excess oil then toss in cinnamon sugar mixture until coated.
- Assemble your sandwich by adding a scoop of your favorite ice cream.