As the leaves begin to change and a crispness fills the air, there’s nothing quite like a warm bowl of White Chicken Chili to welcome the arrival of fall. It’s a bright, fresh take on the classic chili we know and love. It features creamy broth, shredded chicken, corn, and hearty beans. With its comforting flavors and inviting aroma, this White Chicken Chili is the quintessential cozy soup that captures the essence of autumn, making it the perfect addition to your fall menu.
Table of Contents
This recipe will quickly become one of your favorite year round soups. It’s creamy, hearty and so delicious.
We’ve all had the classic chili, made with ground beef and tomatoes but this white chicken chili is a fresh twist on the classic.
White Chicken Chili Ingredients
Chicken- I used chicken thighs. Feel free to use
Onion- I use 1 yellow onion. Diced and also use half of that onion for boiling the chicken.
Corn- both sweet and white corn.
Garlic- minced. The more the better.
Beans- combination of cannellini beans, pinto beans and white beans
Cream Cheese- this made the soup extra creamy. alternatively you can use heavy cream or half and half.
Chicken broth- I recommend using low sodium chicken broth that way you can control the amount of sodium.
Seasoning- I used a variety of pantry staple seasonings check the notes for more details.
Salsa Verde- this is optional but adds extra flavor and spice.
How to store White Chicken Chili
IF it lasts, this can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 4 days. Check out my current favorite storage containers.
More cozy recipes to try
If you try this Creamy White Chicken Chili please be sure to leave a comment, and or tag me on Instagram @cookwithci. I would love to see your recreations and hear your thoughts.
White Chicken Chili
to boil the chicken
- 2-4 chicken thighs
- 1/4 yellow onion
- Bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- water enough to cover the chicken
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon
- salt & pepper
For the soup
- 1 can cannellini beans or white beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can sweet corn
- 4 oz diced green chillies
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/3 cup salsa verde optional
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno diced
- 3-4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp Roasted garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Chile powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp Tajin
- 1/4 tsp mexican oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Boil chicken thighs in water, chicken bouillon, 2 bay leaves and salt over medium high heat for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the pot, and shred with a fork.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced onions and jalapeno and sauté until they become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, corn, diced chilis and chicken broth to the pot. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Add back in the shredded chicken and season with onion powder, roasted garlic powder, Mexican oregano, cayenne pepper, Chile powder, cumin, Tajin and salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cream cheese (or sour cream) and heavy cream (if using).
- While the soup simmers, cut corn tortillas into strips then fry in oil until golden. brown and crispy. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel.
- Ladle soup in a bowl. And top with shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapeno slices, cilantro and the crispy tortilla chips.
How to store White Chicken ChiliIF it lasts, this can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 4 days. Check out my current favorite storage containers.
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi