This tomato-basil based pasta is the perfect weeknight meal. It’s super fresh and tastes like you spent hours on it. It’s sweet, spicy, and garlicky. It was so good. I may or may not have eaten the entire pot in one night. do with that information as you will. haha
I typically love a creamy, meaty pasta buttt, I wanted something light and fresh. It’s been a long week and the week just started. Catch my drift? So this pasta was right up my alley.
I’ve made variations of this pasta a number of times. Depending on the time you’re working with, you can roast your tomatoes in the oven with some garlic, shallots and herbs or throw them in your pan. It’ll be just as good.
With or without meat?
You can pair this pasta with your favorite protein or have it garden style. Whatever you choose, it’s a dish the whole family will love. Simple ingredients making the most delicious, easy meal.
What you’ll need to make this pasta
Your favorite Pasta – I used linguine. But feel free to use Bucanti, spaghetti, Angel hair. Whatever you have! Remember this is supposed to be easy. Don’t stress over the type of noodles.
Cherry Tomatoes– Headliner of the show. These beauties add such a bright and sweet flavor to this pasta.
Basil- Fresh basil really elevates any pasta dish. This delicious herb paired with the garlic and cherry tomatoes complimented each other very well.
Fresh Lemon- I used fresh lemon juice and zest to enhance the flavors adding a citrus flavor.
Frozen Garlic Cubes– We’re working smarter not harder. These are a great alternative for fresh garlic. With the same great taste without the hassle of cutting and dirtying more dishes lol. found in the freezer section of most grocery stores.
Shallot or Onion– I would have preferred using a shallot but I only had an onion on hand. It still worked great
Red Pepper Flakes- y’all know i love a good kick. Red pepper flakes add a great spice to this pasta. You can add as little or much as you want.
Parmesan Cheese– freshly grated Parmesan Cheese to top this delicious pasta.
White Truffle Oil– this is optional but was SO SO good! I topped it on top of the pasta for a little razzle dazzle.
Easy Cherry Tomato Basil Pasta
- 1/2 pack of linguine
- 1/4 yellow onion of shallot thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 frozen garlic cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes + 1 tsp for garnish Adjust according to tolerance
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp salt to salt water for noodles
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/4 Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 tbsp white truffle oil
- 1/3 cup pasta water
- salt and pepper to taste for pasta sauce
- Start out by bringing a pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package. Rinse with cold water to stop the noodles from cooking and prevent them from sticking
- In a pan over medium-heat, add in the oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Sauté until fragrant (about 2-3 minutes)
- Add in your onions/shallots, and cherry tomatoes and sautè until the tomatoes begin to wilt and breakdown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add in 1/2 cup of pasta water. Season with onion powder, garlic powder and salt to taste.
- Add in cooked pasta and mix the noodles into the sauce until fully incorporated. Add in lemon zest, lemon juice and basil. Toss noodles again
- Add pasta to a bowl, top with Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, basil and a drizzle of white truffle oil.
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi