Picture this— it’s cold out and you’re cuddled up on the couch with a big bowl of lasagna soup, binge watching your fav show. Whew, a vibe. The delicious taste of lasagna without all the work. This is the best recipe to make on a chilly day. Let’s make it!
Lasagna soup is getting the love it deserves and I love it. It’s the delicious taste of lasagna without the drawn out process. And it can be done in one pot, making things super easy. And less dishes to wash, and you already know we love that.
I’m all about one pot meals these days. Especially during the weekdays. It’s so perfect to throw everything in one pot and let it rock. You can also make this soup in a crockpot for the ultimate low maintenance cooking experience.
This soup might seem like a lot of steps and ingredients but it’s very simple to make. And includes a lot of pantry staples you probably have on hand.
What you’ll need—
Ground meat of choice- I used ground beef. But feel free to use Italian sausage, ground turkey, etc.
Onions– yellow onion.
Tomatoes- I threw whatever tomato I had in this soup. A mixture of Roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes to give some great texture.
Marinara sauce + crushed tomatoes- also used a variety of tomato sauce. I thought I had a large amount of crushed tomatoes but I didn’t, so I added marinara to it.
Herbs and spices- if you decide to use ground beef or turkey it’s important to season it to achieve that Italian sausage flavor. I used a variety of seasonings + fennel seeds.
Sugar– helps balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
Chicken broth or Vegetable broth-i prefer using low sodium because I’m able to control the sodium later.
Lasagna Noodles– you can use whatever noodles you’d like. But for the lasagna effect I crushed lasagna noodles and cooked them in the soup. fusilli and Campanelle noodles would work great.
Ricotta Cheese- I prefer whole milk ricotta.
White Truffle oil- is optional but I love the flavor it adds to the ricotta mixture.
Are you a pasta lover? Try some of my other favorite pasta recipes.
- Ground beef, ground turkey or Italian sausage
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- crushed red pepper flakes
- salt + pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Rao's Marinara Sauce
- 8 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup roma tomatoes + cherry tomatoes diced
- 6-8 Lasagna noodles crushed into pieces
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- fresh basil
- 1 cup Ricotta
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- fresh basil
- white truffle oil optional
- black pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once heated add in onions and sautè until translucent. After 2-3 minutes, add in garlic and sautè until fragrant. about 2-3 minutes. Then add in ground beef and cook until brown. Season with onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes and fennel seeds. Mix well. Then add a heaping spoonful of tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, marinara sauce, Roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. bring to a low simmer then stir in the chicken broth.
- Bring to a medium boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add in sugar. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Crush in lasagna noodles, cover and let simmer until the noodles are tender. about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in heavy heavy cream and simmer for an additional 7 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine ricotta, shredded mozzarella, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt and a drizzle of white truffle oil. Mix until well combined.
- Ladle soup into a bowl, with a dollop of ricotta cheese. Garnish with fresh basil and red pepper flakes. Serve with warm dinner rolls or garlic bread and enjoy!
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi