This Chicken Caesar Sandwich is everything we love about a Caesar salad, but in a sandwich. Instead of needing a fork, you can eat it with your hands! The sandwich features balsamic-marinated chicken thighs, melty pepper jack cheese and a delicious Caesar salad sandwiched between buttery ciabatta rolls.
Table of Contents
The other week my boyfriend took me to La Madeline for lunch. It was my first time there and didn’t know what to get. overwhelmed by the menu, I ended up ordering a basic croissant sandwich- which was okay. But as always, he ordered a sandwich that was SO good. Like we had to trade because it was that good. I honestly couldn’t stop thinking about it and knew I had to recreate it. So this is my rendition of the La Madeline chicken caesar sandwich.
I’m always looking for new and delicious recipes to switch things up and this sandwich is such a treat!
Chicken Caesar Sandwich Ingredients
- Ciabatta Loaf– or you can use your favorite bread.
- Pepper Jack Cheese– the original sandwich used Swiss, but I wanted to add a little pizzazz with pepper jack. Feel free to use your favorite cheese.
- Chicken– I used chicken thighs, but feel free to use your choice of chicken.
- Balsamic Vinegar– this was such a good marinade. Gave it such a good flavor. Sweet, savory with a hint of tanginess.
- Brown Mustard– added rustic notes to the chicken.
- Seasonings– I used a variety of seasonings for the chicken marinade. Check the notes.
- Romaine Lettuce– I recommend using the crunchier part of the romaine, known as the romaine hearts.
- Caesar Dressing– feel free to make your own caesar dressing or use your favorite store bought dressing. My favorite is from Ken’s Steakhouse.
- Garlic Butter– I made my own by roasting some garlic, then combining with softened unsalted butter, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning.
How to make a Chicken Caesar Sandwich?
Marinate the chicken thighs in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, brown mustard, roasted garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Mix well until fully coated then allow the chicken to marinate for at least an hour. The longer, the better.
Cook the chicken over medium heat and allow the chicken to cook and the sauce to caramelize. It will create the most delicious brown flavorful chicken.
Prep the salad. Clean, cut and dry the romaine lettuce and add to a bowl. Then pour caesar dressing, parmesan cheese and pepper. Toss until fully coated.
Assemble the sandwich. Spread garlic butter on the inside of the bread slice and boil in the oven for 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken thighs on one side of the bread. Then add slices of pepper jack cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melty. Remove from the oven and top with the Caesar salad. Close the sandwich, cut in half and enjoy!
Tips for the perfect sandwich
- Choose the Crunchier Romaine: For the best salad sandwich experience, opt for the crunchier part of the romaine lettuce. This will give your sandwich a satisfying bite. However, if you prefer the softer leaves, be mindful of the dressing to prevent sogginess.
- Toast the Ciabatta Bread: Toasting your ciabatta bread is a fantastic idea to add a delightful texture to your sandwich. It not only enhances the overall taste but also provides a pleasant contrast to the salad’s freshness.
More delicious recipes to try
If you try this Chicken Caesar Sandwich I’d love to hear your feedback. Please be sure to leave a comment, and/or tag me on Instagram @cookwithci. I would love to see your recreations and hear your thoughts.
Chicken Caesar Sandwich
- Ciabatta Bread
- chicken thighs
- pepper jack cheese
- garlic butter spread
- 1/3 cup caesar dressing
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- black pepper to taste
For the marinade
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown mustard
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp roasted garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt + pepper
- preheat oven to 375
- Add chicken thighs to a bowl and add balsamic vinegar, olive oil, brown mustard, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Mix until fully coated. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet and cook the chicken through until done. Remove from the pan.
- To another bowl add caesar dressing, romaine lettuce, parmesan cheese and cracked pepper. Toss fully and set aside.
- Slice ciabatta in half, spread garlic butter on both sides then add the chicken, pepper jack cheese and pop in the oven for about 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melty. Add the salad on top and close it.
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi