In-N-Out At Home. Known for its juicy burgers, melty American Cheese, and grilled onions and fresh onions, lettuce, tomatoes and the most delicious burger sauce. Made to order!
We’re putting my homemade brioche rolls to work honey! I was determined to not let any of my rolls go to waste. And I also wanted to show you multiple ways to use them.
Growing up in California, In-N-Out burger was the best thing since sliced bread. The best and most fresh fast-food restaurant.
If you haven’t had it you’re honestly missing out. It’s fresh, flavorful and just so so good. Now I know MOST people will complain about the fries… buttt we’re not here for the fries. lol we’re here for the burger. So in Ciarra fashion, of course I had to recreate it at home.
Now thankfully, Houston has a couple of In-N-Out’s throughout the city. However, making it at home is a GAME changer! Likeeee you can’t tell me this isn’t the real thing. lol actually you can, but you catch my drift. It resembles the real thing.
Not having to leave the house AND I get a good burger AND fresh fries?! Yes indeed. Let’s get into it.
The recipe is SO simple and comes together pretty easily.
Along with the freshness of the burger, In-N-Out is known for its special sauce. And animal style burger and fries.
What’s Animal Style?
Is In-N-Out’s infamous mustard fried patty, with pickles, grilled onions, and extra secret sauce.
They also offer animal style fries, which is fries, loaded with American cheese, grilled onions and secret sauce.
They’re both very good, and a great way to enjoy their classic burger and fries.
What you’ll need
Ground beef- 80/20 ground beef.
Mustard– Plain yellow mustard
American Cheese- Real American cheese. I used Boar’s Head.
Hamburger Buns- Buttered & toasted. I prefer brioche buns. But use whatever you have.
Lettuce– In-N-Out traditionally uses iceberg lettuce. I used Romaine.
Tomato– Use your favorite type of tomato.
Onion– my In-N-Out order consists of both grilled onions and raw onion.
Chili Peppers– these are a game changer! They add the perfect heat to the burger.
Secret Sauce- Mayo, Ketchup, Mustard, Sweet Relish, Vinegar, Sugar.
Feel free to freestyle this In-N-Out at home with your favorite toppings. The beauty of making it at home is that you can customize it!
Looking for more delicious recipes? Check out some faves
In-N-Out At Home
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- American cheese
- Brioche bun
- 1/2 white onion diced + more if you want fresh
- chili peppers
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt + pepper
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- Oil use your favorite oil
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2.5 tbsp sweet relish
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar optional
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder optional
- salt to taste optional
- Heat cast iron skillet or pan over medium heat. Add in 1-2 tsp of oil and 1 tbsp of butter. Once the butter begins to bubble add in diced onions, salt and 1 tsp of sugar, optional and cook until browned and caramelized. Stirring frequently. Add water if needed. Once caramelized/grilled to your liking remove onions from the pan. Add in a little more oil if needed, then toast buns until golden, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Bring ground beef to room temp and form beef into 4-6 patties on pieces of parchment paper. (form the patties slightly larger than your buns and not as thick as a normal patties). Season both sides with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Heat pan to medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp of oil and allow to heat up. Place patty or patties in the pan (depending on how large your pan is). Press down to get the full surface of the patty in contact with the skillet. Cook to your desired doneness without moving the meat, until browned and a crust forms. I cooked mine 2-3 minutes on both sides. On the exposed side of the patty, add 1 1/2 tsp of mustard, then flip the patty. Allow to cook for 2 another minutes.
- Add 1-2 slices of cheese. Add a little water to the pan and put the top on. Cook for about 1 minute (this helps the cheese melt)
For secret sauce
- Combine mayo, ketchup, mustard, sweet relish, vinegar, sugar and garlic paste. Mix until well combined. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Spread the secret sauce on the bottom bun, then layer with tomatoes, lettuce, patty, grilled onions, raw onion, second patty (if you're making it a double-double), chili peppers, more sauce then the top bun.
- Serve with fries & enjoy!
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi