It gets no better than sushi at home! To know me is to know I LOVE sushi! So it’s only right that creating my own sushi was next on my list of recipes to try. This is perfect for when you’re craving takeout but don’t want to go out. Or if you’re like me, and trying to watch your spending, this recipe is for you!
I made three different rolls all inspired by my favorite take-out rolls and also what I had in my house. Feel free to use what you have.
The first roll is a classic Shrimp Tempura roll. One of my first and favorite rolls I tried when I first started eating sushi. Seasoned sushi rice, on a sheet of roasted nori. Sandwiched between crunchy cucumber, shrimp tempura and avocado. Rolled tightly and drizzled with eel sauce.
The second roll is a Spicy Shrimp roll. Delicious crisp seaweed topped with rice and sesame seeds, layered with cucumber, spicy shrimp mix and creamy avocado. Dressed with spicy mayo, sriracha, and sweet eel sauce. This was my family’s favorite.
The third roll, my favorite out of the 3, is a mango tempura roll. Shrimp tempura, cucumber and cream cheese rolled tightly. Topped with sliced mango and shredded coconut.
The thought of making sushi might be intimidating but it’s actually very easy. The most difficult part was actually rolling it up. I used a placemat which ended up working but they have a ton of sushi making kits on Amazon that will make the process easier.
A lot of my recipes are created by the food I love. I love recreating my favorites. The other day I was craving sushi, and have been on somewhat of a budget so I decided to make it at home. And y’allll OMG it was so good.
Sushi rice, a short grain rice, is different from other rice because it produces a stickier texture that holds the sushi together. Highly recommend sushi rice for this.
What you’ll need
sushi rice- short grain rice with a sticky texture when it’s cooked.
rice vinegar- used to season the rice.
cucumber- deseeded and cut into thin strips.
avocado- sliced thinly
shrimp tempura– I used the frozen shrimp tempura from Trader Joe’s.
Looking for more shrimp recipes? Try some of my favorites
Jerk Shrimp Salad
Shrimp Tempura Roll
- sushi mat
- 1 1/2 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 6 pieces shrimp tempura
- 1/2 cucumber thinly sliced into strips
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- sesame seeds
- eel sauce
- Wash sushi rice until the water runs clear. Bring water and rice to a boil then reduce to a simmer cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Cook frozen shrimp tempura in the air fryer on 400 for 8-10 minutes.
- Season rice with rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well. And allow rice to cool to room temp.
- Chop and prepare cucumber and avocado.
- To a flat surface lay down sushi mat or place mat. Then place a layer of plastic wrap. With wet hands, spread out 1/3 cup of sushi rice on a sheet of nori (use more if needed). Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Flip nori over on a sheet of plastic wrap so the side with rice is facing the plastic wrap. Layer few pieces of cucumber, 2 pieces of shrimp tempura and avocado 1/4 from the top of the nori, then roll and tuck tightly making everything sealed.
- Keep rolling and tucking until it’s sealed. Using a wet knife, slice the sushi into even pieces. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Check out my next post for the next 2 sushi rolls!
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi