Instant pot black eyed peas. A southern New Year’s tradition. Made with smoked turkey meat boiled and spiced until tender then stewed together with black-eyed peas, chopped veggies and flavored down! Pressure cooked until soft and served over white rice. Yall this felt like a warm hug. The only black-eyed peas recipe you need.
The Instant Pot has quickly become one of my favorite kitchen appliances. Right next to the air fryer. It’s a multi-feature appliance that allows you to pressure cook, saute, steam and so much more. Meals that usually take hours to cook in the oven now can be done in 1/2 the time.
Black Eyed peas is such a cozy comforting meal. It literally feels like a welcome home hug. I like to serve it over rice with a slice of honey butter cornbread. The depth of flavors is unreal. Sweet. Savory. Smokey. Spicy. Baby you experience it all.
I know black-eyed peas don’t have the greatest rep. But this recipe changes all of that. I hate to toot my own horn, but every person who hated black eyed peas growing up, LOVED mine. Which brought me so much joy. toot toot.
NOTE– With all my recipes, feel free to use this as a guide. Season and use what you like.
What I used
Black eyed peas- make sure to soak your beans for at least 6 hours. Sift and remove the bad beans
Smoked Turkey- I used smoked turkey necks and wings
Chopped seasoning- blend of diced onions, celery and green bell pepper
Chicken broth- I prefer using low sodium/ unsalted chicken broth. That way I can control the amount of salt
I start off by soaking the beans for at least 6 hours. Once they’re soaked, I sift through and remove any bad beans. Next, I boil smoked turkey wings and turkey necks in crab boil and cajun seasoning using a light hand. (you don’t want to OVER season. You just want subtle flavor). Remember the smoked turkey necks and sausage already have a flavor from being smoked. Boiling them makes them extra tender and flavorful and by the time they pressure cook in the pot, the meat is falling off the bone tender with so much flavor.
Next, I cook turkey sausage until browned. I like to use Jalapeño smoked turkey sausage from HEB. It has the perfect kick and the flavors work so well together.
Once the sausage is browned, I add the chopped seasoning blend into the pot with a little more oil. Sauté until fragrant. Then I added in the boiled turkey, black-eyed peas, chicken broth, water and season everything really well according to taste. Pressure cook on high for 45 minutes. Once done, let it sit for at least 10 minutes before venting the Instant pot. Next, I like to mash some of the beans down to get a creamy texture. Then I serve it warm over white rice. And boom you have the most coziest, creamy pot of black eyed peas. Perfect for a winter day.
Black Eyed Peas
- Instant Pot
- 1 lb black-eyed peas
- 1/3 green bell pepper diced
- 1/3 sweet onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced or garlic paste
- 1 stalk celery diced
- smoked jalapeno turkey sausage cut into half moons
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 32 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 tbsp Tony's no salt seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Kinder's No Salt Garlic & Herb
- 1/2 tsp crab boil
- salt + pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- green onion to garnish
- 1 smoked turkey wing
- smoked turkey necks
- 1 tsp crab boil
- 1 tsp Tony's no salt creole seasoning
- In a large bowl, add beans and cover with water. Soak for at least 6 hrs or overnight.
- Fill a large pot with water and add smoked turkey wings and turkey necks, 1 tsp of crab boil and 1 tsp of Tony's no salt seasoning and bring to a boil. Boil for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep the ingredients for the beans. Dice chopped seasoning blend (onions, celery and green bell pepper). Mince 4 cloves of garlic and cut smoked jalapeño sausage into half moons.
- In an instant pot using the 'saute' feature on 'normal' heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook smoked sausage until browned. Add in chopped seasoning with more oil and saute for a few minutes before adding in garlic. Saute until fragrant.
- Remove boiled, turkey meat from the pot and add to the Instant pot. Add rinsed beans, chicken broth and water. Season with seasonings of choice. (I used Tony's no salt seasoning, Kinder's no salt garlic and herb seasoning, cayenne pepper, onion powder, crab boil, fresh thyme, 3 bay leaves, hot sauce, salt and black pepper.
- Mix to combine the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste. Add instant pot top and pressure cook on high for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, allow the beans to sit for 10 minutes before pressure release.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme from pot and excess liquid if need be. Mash beans down with a masher to get a creamy texture.
- Serve warm over white rice. And enjoy.
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi