Breakfast Kolache Bombs. Homemade dough stuffed with all you favorite breakfast items. Scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, and cheese rolled into a bomb. Brushed with egg wash, topped with everything but the bagel seasoning and cajun seasoning. The kolache bombs are then baked in the oven until golden brown.
These are so delicious and perfect for breakfast on the go. This will be your new favorite way to start the day!
What are Kolaches?
Kolaches are a Czech pastry traditionally made with yeast dough and filled with fruit or cheese. In Texas and Louisiana, they’ve adapted the kolache and fill them with just about anything.
I remember the first time I had a kolache in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It was during my first visit to see my boyfriend and we grabbed them for breakfast. I ordered a simple combination of eggs, bacon, and cheese, and it was delicious. Like take a bite and stare at it for a second delicious. IYKYK!
The other day we had some friends staying with us and I had some leftover pizza dough. So what does one do when they have leftover pizza dough? They make homemade kolaches, duh.
Whenever I have guests over, I always take the opportunity to try out new recipe ideas. When I see their faces light up with the first bite, I know it’s a hit!
What you’ll need-
Pizza dough- you can use pizza dough or premade biscuit dough.
Eggs- scrambled and lightly seasoned.
Sausage- I used ground turkey sausage. Feel free to use whatever protein you’d like.
Cheese- I used mixed shredded cheese.
Egg wash- brush this on top of the kolaches before baking.
Seasoning- feel free to season you eggs however you like. I topped each kolache with everything but the bagel seasoning and cajun seasoning for a little razzle dazzle.
Can I make them ahead of time?
You sure can. If you want to get a head start, prep them the night before, place them in a baking dish and cover and keep them in the refrigerator over night. The morning of, brush them with egg wash, and top with everything but the bagel seasoning and cajun seasoning them pop them in the oven and bake until golden.
What I love most about kolaches is the endless possibilities for fillings. You can stuff these pastry bombs with just about anything you’d like.
Although these are delicious as is, feel free to customize them to your liking/dietary restrictions.
- add veggies. onions, mushrooms, peppers.
- make it meatless. leave out the meat and just do egg and cheese.
- add hash browns.
- switch the sausage for bacon, chorizo etc.
Looking for more breakfast inspo?
Ultimate Breakfast Tacos
Breakfast Fried Rice
Stuffed French Toast
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
If you try these breakfast kolache bombs, be sure to leave a comment! I would love to hear your thoughts.
Breakfast Kolache Bomb
- pizza dough or 1 can of biscuit dough (not flaky)
- 4 eggs + egg wash
- 16 oz ground turkey sausage
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
- everything but the bagel seasoning
- Tony's creole seasoning
- salt + pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a non stick pan with cooking spray.
- in a pan, cook sausage until browned. Then remove from the pan and add 1/2 tbsp of butter. Cook your scrambled eggs in the rendered sausage fat and butter until cooked.
- Roll out pizza dough and cut into 4 inch rounds or flatten biscuit dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Add eggs, sausage and cheese to the center Be sure not to add too much filling. Bring the sides to the center and pinch to seal forming a ball. Place the bomb sealed side down in the prepared pan. Repeat until all your breakfast ingredients are gone.
- Brush each bomb with egg wash and sprinkle with everything but the bagel seasoning and Tony's.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Brush with butter, if desired. Allow to cool before serving. Enjoy!
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi