Nothing says comfort like a bowl of creamy mashed potatoes! Especially when it’s paired with beef stew or roasted chicken. My garlic mashed potatoes are comfort in a bowl. Garlic infused mashed potatoes made with butter, cream and a variety of cheese. These are the perfect Thanksgiving side.
What you’ll need to make Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Potatoes- I love to use red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes.
- Garlic- garlic cloves or garlic paste. I like to boil garlic with the potatoes then mash them together.
- Heavy Cream- you can also use half and half or whole milk.
- Sour Cream- adds a velvety creaminess.
- Cheese- shredded or grated, parmesan cheese and Italian mix cheese is optional.
- Salt & Pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Butter- unsalted. that way you can control the salt.
How to make Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Wash and skin potatoes to your preference. I like to leave the skin on. Fill a large pot with cool water (this ensures the potatoes boil evenly). And add the potatoes and 2 garlic cloves. Boil the potatoes over high heat. until fork tender. Drain then add butter and heavy creamy. Mash the potatoes until smooth.
Personally I love a rough mashed potato. Meaning skin is still on and there are a few chunks of potato. If you prefer a smoother mashed potato, use a ricer or food mill.
Tips To Make The Best Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- use room temperature butter to melt mix smoothly into the potatoes.
- Boil garlic cloves with the potatoes for a rich garlic flavor. Alternatively, you can use a garlic paste.
- pricking the potatoes with a fork helps them cook through.
- add cold water to the pot to ensure the potatoes cook through evenly.
More delicious recipes to try
If you try these Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes please be sure to leave a comment, and or tag me on Instagram @cookwithci. I would love to see your recreations and hear your thoughts.
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- potato masher or ricer or food mill
- 4-6 Red Potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and peel potatoes. Leave the skin on if desired. Use a fork to poke a few holes throughout the potatoes.
- In a large pot of cold water, season with salt and bring potatoes and garlic cloves to a boil over high heat. Cook until fork tender, then drain the potatoes.
- To the pot, add butter, heavy cream or whole milk and sour cream to the potatoes and mash over low heat. Add more heavy cream if needed.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning. Adjust according to taste. Add in parmesan and mix well.
- Top with butter and serve warm. Enjoy!
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi