In honor of National Rum Day, let’s get into one of my new favorite cocktails. The Cucumber Mojito. This refreshing cocktail is made by muddling fresh Cucumber, mint, lime and then layered with white rum, simple syrup and crushed ice. It’s then topped with crisp Ginger Ale for the ultimate fizzy finish.
Now some of you may be thinking cucumber mojito?! And I get it, I was skeptical too. But you have to give it a try. It’s absolutely delicious and compliments the lime and mint! Perfect way to bring the tropical vibes to your front door.
Mojitos are one of my favorite cocktails to make because they are so easy! Just add all the ingredients to one glass and you’re good to go.
What you’ll need for this Cucumber Mojito
- White Rum– Mojitos are made with a white rum. I used Bacardi for this cocktail. Feel free to use your favorite rum.
- Cucumber– fresh & cubed. ( I peeled mine, but feel free to leave the skin on if preferred)
- Lime juice– if it’s not fresh, I don’t want it. Fresh limes makes all the difference when making a cocktail/mocktail.
- Ginger Ale- Not traditional, buttt adds such great flavor to this cocktail. I wasn’t sure how sweet it would be with cucumber so I opted for Ginger Ale.
- Mint– you already know the drill. Make sure it’s fresh. The mint enhances the flavors of the drink. And alsoooo makes for a great garnish which
- Simple syrup– I suggest making it yourself. You can easily make a homemade simple syrup using one part granulated sugar, one part water. Bring the water to a boil and stir until the sugar fully dissolves. Put in a mason jar and allow it to cool before using.
Tips to make the best Cucumber Mojito
- Use Ginger Ale or Sprite– It’s not traditional, but hear me out… I wasn’t sure how things would be with just club soda, so opting for Ginger Ale adds a great subtle sweetness that pairs really nicely with the cucumber.
- Use fresh lime. Listen, if it’s one thing I want you to get from my blog is USE FRESH LIME! I promise, it makes all the difference.
- SMACK the mint like it stole something. haha no really. Smacking the mint releases the natural oils/ flavor. Which will enhance the flavors in this mojito.
Make it a “Nojito”
Make it a non-alcoholic mojito by opting out of the rum or by using a non-alcoholic rum. One of my faves is Ritual’s Non Alcoholic Rum.
Mojitos to try
If you try this Cucumber Mojito, please be sure to leave a comment, and or tag me on Instagram @cookwithci. I would love to see your recreations and hear your thoughts.
- 1/4 cup cucumber chopped
- 2 oz Rum
- 4-6 mint leaves
- 3/4 oz lime juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- crushed ice
- ginger ale
- lime wheels
- In a Collin's glass, add cucumber, mint leaves, lime juice and muddle. Add in rum, more lime juice if desired and simple syrup and stir with a bar spoon.
- Next, add in crushed ice, Top with club soda. Garnish with more mint and a lime wheel and enjoy!
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi