Giving very much autumn harvest vibes with this one! We’re one day away from the best season and fall recipes are in full effect! My Harvest pizza is one tasty recipe you have to try this fall! Made on homemade pizza dough topped with kale pesto, roasted butternut squash, kale, caramelized shallots and a mixture of mozzarella, smoked gouda and parmesan topped with savory herbs and spices. A savory rustic vibe with a hint of sweetness.
Table of Contents
As we transition seasons, I’m focusing on using a lot more seasonal fruits and veggies. I wanted to create a pizza that screams fall. Hence the name ‘Harvest pizza’. Initially, I planned to use roasted sweet potatoes, but after doing some research I found that butternut squash is very similar and a great pizza topping. And since I’ve never used it before, I decided to try. If you don’t have butternut squash, no worries sweet potatoes will also work great for this recipe.
If you haven’t caught it by now, I love to explore and combine different flavors, and textures most people wouldn’t think about pairing. I love adding dimension and depth to recipes. It’s so much fun, to me. Especially when the recipe is a hit! The flavor on this pizza was unreal! And the fact that there was no meat made me feel accomplished. Job well done, Ciarra. Sometimes you need a good, hearty, meal with no meat. At least I do.
Harvest Pizza Ingredients
- Butternut Squash– sweet potato is also a great alternative.
- Chopped Kale
- Shallots– thinly sliced. You can also use red onions.
- Pesto– check out my Kale Pesto recipe.
- Mozzarella Cheese – I used sliced mozzarella and shredded mozzarella
- Pizza Dough– store bought pizza dough or naan/ flatbread will also work great. If you want to make it from scratch, check out my pizza dough recipe.
- Seasonings- check the recipe for the full run down
- Smoked Gouda– optional but it adds a nice smokiness
- Parmesan Cheese– fresh is best.
How to make this Harvest Pizza
You’ll want to start by peeling and dicing 1/3 of butternut squash. Next, on a baking sheet toss it with olive oil, Italian seasoning and a pinch of salt. Pop it in the oven for about 15 minutes until they are tender.
While the butternut squash roasts, start on the caramelized shallots. Add thinly sliced shallots to a hot skillet with some olive oil, thyme and honey over medium heat. Stir occasionally so they don’t burn. After a few minutes, reduce the heat, and let the shallots cook until they are nice and soft.
How to Assemble
On a lightly floured surface, divide some pizza dough and roll it out to your desired shape and thickness. Add kale pesto, sliced mozzarella and the roasted butternut squash. Next, scoop on those delicious caramelized shallots, and some of the olive oil from the pan. Add chopped kale, shredded mozzarella, parmesan and smoked gouda on top. Drizzle some more of the shallot oil, to help the cheese melt. Pop it in the oven on 500 for about 8-10 minutes until the cheese is nice and melted and the crust is a beautiful golden brown. Top your pizza with fresh basil and crushed red pepper flakes if desired. I also added a drizzle of white truffle oil and MAN, it was good. You have to try it!
How to make pizza dough from scratch?
check out my homemade pizza dough recipe! Makes the BEST pizza dough and super easy.
More pizzas to enjoy
check out some of my favorites on the blog.
- Butternut Squash, Kale & Caramelized Shallot Harvest Pizza
- Air fried Shrimp Pizza
- Easy Cheesy Pesto & Cherry Tomato Pizza
- White Chicken & Garlic Pizza
If you try this my Harvest Pizza please be sure to leave a comment, and or tag me on Instagram @cookwithci. I would love to see your recreations and hear your thoughts.
- 1/2 pound pizza dough
- 2 tbsp kale pesto
- 1/3 cup butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning + more for topping
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 shallot or red onion thinly sliced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped kale
- 2-3 pieces sliced mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella
- 1/4 cup smoked gouda shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan shredded
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a baking sheet, add diced butternut squash and drizzle olive oil and Italian seasoning and salt. mix until well coated. Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes, until the squash is tender. Remove from oven and increase oven temp to 500 degrees.
- While the squash is roasting, in a small pan over medium heat, add olive oil, shallots, thyme leaves and honey for about 3-5 minutes stirring frequently. Reduce heat, and cook on medium low for an additional 5 minutes until the shallots are soft and tender. Remove from heat add shallots and oil to a small bowl.
- Roll out pizza dough on a sheet pan, add kale pesto, and pieces of the sliced mozzarella. Next, add the roasted butternut squash, caramelized shallots and kale. Then top with shredded mozzarella, parmesan and smoked gouda. Drizzle some of the shallot oil on top, sprinkle Italian seasoning (optional)
- Add pan into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and dough is golden.
- Top with red pepper flakes and fresh basil! Enjoy
Did you make it?
Tag @cookwithci on Instagram and hashtag #CookwithCi